Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 506
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney: means attorney-at-law. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Capital offense: A crime punishable by death.
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Criminal gang: means any alliance, network, conspiracy, or group that:
(a) Consists of three (3) or more persons who have any of the following in common:
1. See Kentucky Statutes 506.135
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal: refers to the United States. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Pattern of criminal gang activity: means acts performed on separate occasions within a five (5) year period by any member or members of a criminal gang for the commission, attempt, or solicitation of, or conspiracy to commit:
(a) Two (2) or more felony offenses. See Kentucky Statutes 506.135
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Year: means calendar year. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010