Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:431
- Athlete: means a student who resides in this state, or a student who does not reside in this state but has informed in writing an institution of higher education in this state of the student's intent to participate in that school's intercollegiate sports contests, and who is characterized by either of the following:
(i) Is eligible to participate in junior high, high school, or intercollegiate sports contests as a member of a sports team of a junior high, high school, or institution of higher education which is located in this state and which is a member of a federation or association. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Athlete agent: means any person who recruits or solicits an athlete to enter into an agent contract or professional sport services contract with any person, or who offers anything of value to any person to induce an athlete to enter into an agreement by which any person will represent the athlete, or who for anything of value procures, offers, promises, or attempts to obtain employment for an athlete with a professional sports team. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Contact: means any communication by an athlete agent or by any intermediary with an athlete, or with any third person for the purpose of having that third person communicate with the athlete about the possibility of or formation of any business, financial, or other contractual relationship or agreement, including an agent contract, a professional services contract, or a professional sports services contract. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Division: means the public protection division of the Department of Justice. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Institution: means any institution of higher education in this state having an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- School: means any secondary school in this state, including high schools and junior high schools, that has an athlete contract with an athlete. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 4:421
A. Each year the division shall compile a list of athletes, which were signed to a contract by a professional sports team, and shall contact the appropriate players associations to determine which agents have been retained to represent those athletes.
B. In the event that the agents retained by the athletes are not registered in this state, the division shall contact the district attorney where the athlete‘s school or institution of higher education is located. The district attorney’s office shall take appropriate measures to investigate and prosecute any unregistered athlete agents operating in this state.
C. The division shall inform in writing the appropriate players association of any unregistered athlete agent operating in this state.
Acts 1999, No. 302, §1.