|CHANGE OF NAME||259.10 – 259.13|
|ADOPTION||259.20 – 259.89|
Terms Used In Minnesota Statutes > Chapter 259
- Academic Health Center: means the seven professional schools in health care related disciplines at the University of Minnesota. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allowable service: has the meaning provided in Minnesota Statutes 1994, section 352. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- contributions: shall mean "shares. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Covered employment: means employment covered by this chapter or by chapter 352. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Employee shares: means shares in the supplemental fund purchased with the employee's contributions. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Employer shares: means shares in the supplemental fund purchased with the employer's contributions. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Fairview: means Fairview Hospital and Healthcare Services, a Minnesota nonprofit corporation, and its successors. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- General employees retirement plan: means the general state employees retirement plan under chapter 352. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Holiday: includes New Year's Day, January 1; Martin Luther King's Birthday, the third Monday in January; Washington's and Lincoln's Birthday, the third Monday in February; Memorial Day, the last Monday in May; Independence Day, July 4; Labor Day, the first Monday in September; Christopher Columbus Day, the second Monday in October; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November; and Christmas Day, December 25; provided, when New Year's Day, January 1; or Independence Day, July 4; or Veterans Day, November 11; or Christmas Day, December 25; falls on Sunday, the following day shall be a holiday and, provided, when New Year's Day, January 1; or Independence Day, July 4; or Veterans Day, November 11; or Christmas Day, December 25; falls on Saturday, the preceding day shall be a holiday. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- In forma pauperis: In the manner of a pauper. Permission given to a person to sue without payment of court fees on claim of indigence or poverty.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month and "year" means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; and "year" is equivalent to the expression "year of our Lord. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Public member: means a person who is not, or never was, a member of the profession or occupation being licensed or regulated or the spouse of any such person, or a person who does not have or has never had, a material financial interest in either the providing of the professional service being licensed or regulated, or an activity directly related to the profession or occupation being licensed or regulated. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Tax: means any fee, charge, exaction, or assessment imposed by a governmental entity on an individual, person, entity, transaction, good, service, or other thing. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Terminated hospital employee: means a person who:
(1) was employed on the day before the effective date by the University of Minnesota at the University of Minnesota Hospital and clinics or the Academic Health Center and was paid on a biweekly payroll;
(2) terminated employment with the University of Minnesota on the day before the effective date or in the case of employees of the Academic Health Center, terminated employment with the University of Minnesota after the effective date but immediately transferred employment to the University of Minnesota Physicians or University Affiliated Family Physicians; and
(3) was a participant in the general state employees retirement plan of the Minnesota State Retirement System at the time of termination of employment with the University of Minnesota. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- Total shares: means all the employee shares and employer shares credited to a participant. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Unclassified program: means the program established by this chapter. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- University Affiliated Family Physicians: means the private practice group of the Department of Family Practice in the university's medical school. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- University of Minnesota: means University of Minnesota Hospital and clinics, the hospitals and clinics operated by the regents of the University of Minnesota. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- University of Minnesota Physicians: means the multispecialty single group medical practice group in which medical school faculty will practice medicine beginning in 1997. See Minnesota Statutes 352F.02
- Value: means the market value of the account at the end of the United States investment market day. See Minnesota Statutes 352D.015
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- verified: when used in reference to writings, means supported by oath or affirmation. See Minnesota Statutes 645.45