Ohio Code > Chapter 2717 – Change of Name
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 2717 - Change of Name
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applicant: means , as context requires, a person who makes the filing under section 2717. See Ohio Code 2717.01
- Application: means , as context requires, an application under section 2717. See Ohio Code 2717.01
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Conform: means to make a person's legal name consistent in all official identity documents by correcting a misspelling, inconsistency, or other error in an official identity document. See Ohio Code 2717.01
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Official identity document: means a birth record, marriage record, divorce decree, driver's license, state issued identification card, social security card with the social security number redacted, passport, or any other official government-issued document required or commonly used to verify a person's identity. See Ohio Code 2717.01
- Person: includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Rule: includes regulation. See Ohio Code 1.59
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59