|§ 170||Action for Divorce|
|§ 170-A||Special Action|
|§ 171||When Divorce Denied, Although Adultery Proved|
|§ 172||Co-Respondent as Party|
|§ 173||Jury Trial|
|§ 175||Legitimacy of Children|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Domestic Relations > Article 10 - Action for Divorce
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.