|§ 473-A||Short-Term Involuntary Protective Services Orders|
|§ 473-B||Reporting of Endangered Adults; Persons in Need of Protective Services|
|§ 473-C||An Order to Gain Access to Persons Believed to Be in Need of Protective Services for Adults|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Social Services > Article 9-B > Title 2 - Short-Term Involuntary Protective Services Orders
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.