(a) In this section, “common carrier” does not include a pipeline company or express company.
(b) An agent of a common carrier may not with intent to defraud a person:
(1) issue a bill of lading;
(2) incorrectly describe goods or the quantity of goods in a bill of lading; or
(3) issue a bill of lading without authority.
Terms Used In Texas Business and Commerce Code 252.004
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Justice: when applied to a magistrate, means justice of the peace. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- Person: includes corporation, organization, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, and any other legal entity. See Texas Government Code 311.005
(c) An agent who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a felony punishable by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for a term of not more than 10 years or less than two years.