|Chapter 201||General Provisions||201.001 – 201.103|
|Chapter 202||Bank Holding Companies||202.001 – 202.006|
|Chapter 203||Interstate Bank Mergers and Branching||203.001 – 203.007|
|Chapter 204||Foreign Banks||204.001 – 204.207|
Terms Used In Texas Finance Code > Title 3 > Subtitle G
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Beer: means a malt beverage containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not more than four percent of alcohol by weight. See Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code 1.04
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Community Reinvestment Act: The Act is intended to encourage depository institutions to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they operate, including low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. It was enacted by the Congress in 1977. Source: OCC
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Department: means the Department of Agriculture. See Texas Agriculture Code 1.003
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Effects: includes all personal property and all interest in that property. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- employee: as used in this title shall be held to include all officers, agents or employees, actually employed and engaged in the service of such corporation, company, association of persons, including its officers, bona fide ticket and freight agents, physicians, surgeons and general attorneys, and attorneys who appear in court to try cases and receive a reasonable annual salary therefor. See Texas Vernon's Civil Statutes 4007
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- family: as used in this title shall include the wife, minor children and dependents of any such employé or person. See Texas Vernon's Civil Statutes 4007
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Manufacturer: means a person engaged in the manufacture or brewing of beer, whether located inside or outside the state. See Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code 1.04
- minister of religion: shall be construed to mean only those whose principal occupation is that of a minister of religion, priest or rabbi. See Texas Vernon's Civil Statutes 4007
- Month: means a calendar month. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- most recent federal census: means the United States decennial census immediately preceding the action in question. See Texas Government Code 312.011
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- Person: means a natural person or association of natural persons, trustee, receiver, partnership, corporation, organization, or the manager, agent, servant, or employee of any of them. See Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code 1.04
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Population: means the population shown by the most recent federal decennial census. See Texas Government Code 311.005
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Premises: has the meaning given it in Section Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code 1.04
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.