(1) Beginning in the 2002-03 school year, each school board and each charter school shall request each pupil entering kindergarten to provide evidence that the pupil has had his or her eyes examined by an optometrist licensed under ch. 449 or evaluated by a physician licensed under ch. 448.
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 118.135
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(2) A pupil who complies with a request under sub. (1) shall provide evidence of an eye examination or evaluation by December 31 following the pupil’s enrollment in kindergarten. The school board or charter school shall provide pupils with the form distributed by the department of safety and professional services under s. 440.03 (16) for that purpose.
(3) To the extent feasible, the medical examining board and the optometry examining board shall encourage physicians and optometrists, for the purpose of this section, to conduct free eye examinations or evaluations of pupils who are in financial need and do not have insurance coverage for eye examinations or evaluations.