(1) By March 1, 2010, the department shall do all of the following:
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 118.46
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(a) Develop a model school policy on bullying by pupils. The policy shall include all of the following:
1. A definition of bullying.
2. A prohibition on bullying.
3. A procedure for reporting bullying that allows reports to be made confidentially.
4. A prohibition against a pupil retaliating against another pupil for reporting an incident of bullying.
5. A procedure for investigating reports of bullying. The procedure shall identify the school district employee in each school who is responsible for conducting the investigation and require that the parent or guardian of each pupil involved in a bullying incident be notified.
6. A requirement that school district officials and employees report incidents of bullying and identify the persons to whom the reports must be made.
7. A list of disciplinary alternatives for pupils that engage in bullying or who retaliate against a pupil who reports an incident of bullying.
8. An identification of the school-related events at which the policy applies.
9. An identification of the property owned, leased, or used by the school district on which the policy applies.
10. An identification of the vehicles used for pupil transportation on which the policy applies.
(b) Develop a model education and awareness program on bullying.
(2) By August 15, 2010, each school board shall adopt a policy prohibiting bullying by pupils. The school board may adopt the model policy under sub. (1) (a). The school board shall provide a copy of the policy to any person who requests it. Annually, the school board shall distribute the policy to all pupils enrolled in the school district and to their parents or guardians.