Current as of: 2009
(a) Any person who has had a motor vehicle operator's license for more than three (3) years, and who has been issued traffic violations which are his or her first violations within the preceding three (3) years, may request a hearing seeking a dismissal of the violations based upon the operator's good driving record.
(b) Upon submission of proper proof that the operator has not been issued any other traffic violation within the past three (3) years, the charge shall, except for good cause shown or as otherwise provided by law, be dismissed based upon a good driving record; provided, that the operator pay a thirty-five dollar ($35.00) administrative fee for court costs associated with the dismissal.
(c) The traffic tribunal may not dismiss a charge pursuant to this section after six (6) months from the date of disposition. For purposes of this section, a parking ticket shall not constitute a prior violation.
(d) The following violations shall not be dismissed pursuant to this statute:
(1) Any violation within the original jurisdiction of superior or district court;
(2) A refusal to submit to a chemical test of breath, blood or urine pursuant to Â§ 31-27-2.1;
(3) Any violation involving a school bus;
(4) Any violation involving an accident where there has been property damage or personal injury;
(5) Any speeding violation in excess of fourteen miles per hour (14 m.p.h.) above the posted speed limit;
(6) Any violation involving child restraints in motor vehicles pursuant to Â§ 31-22-22;
(7) Any violation committed by a holder of a commercial license as defined in Â§ 31-10.3-3 or any violation committed in a commercial motor vehicle as defined in Â§ 31-10.3-3 by an operator who does not hold a commercial license.
(e) If the charge is dismissed pursuant to this section, records of the dismissal shall be maintained for a period of three (3) years.
(f) The judge or magistrate shall have the discretion to waive court costs and fees when dismissing a violation pursuant to this section, with the exception of the mandatory thirty-five dollars ($35.00) administrative fee provided for in Â§ 31-41.1-7(b).
Questions & Answers: Traffic Law Violations
Rhode Island Laws: Traffic Law Violations