(a) No entitlement to contract or grant
Nothing in this subchapter shall be construed–
(1) to entitle any child care provider or recipient of a child care certificate to any contract, grant or benefit; or
(2) to limit the right of any State to impose additional limitations or conditions on contracts or grants funded under this subchapter.
(b) Construction of facilities
(1) In general
Except as provided for in section 9858m(c)(6) of this title, no funds made available under this subchapter shall be expended for the purchase or improvement of land, or for the purchase, construction, or permanent improvement (other than minor remodeling) of any building or facility.
(2) Sectarian agency or organization
In the case of a sectarian agency or organization, no funds made available under this subchapter may be used for the purposes described in paragraph (1) except to the extent that renovation or repair is necessary to bring the facility of such agency or organization into compliance with health and safety requirements referred to in section 9858c(c)(2)(I) of this title.
Terms Used In 42 USC 9858d
- child care certificate: means a certificate (that may be a check or other disbursement) that is issued by a State or local government under this subchapter directly to a parent who may use such certificate only as payment for child care services or as a deposit for child care services if such a deposit is required of other children being cared for by the provider. See 42 USC 9858n
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- State: means any of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See 42 USC 9858n