Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 42 > Chapter 105 > Subchapter II-B
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- caregiver: means an individual who provides a service directly to an eligible child on a person-to-person basis. See 42 USC 9858n
- child care certificate: means a certificate (that may be a check or other disbursement) that is issued by a State or local government under this subchapter directly to a parent who may use such certificate only as payment for child care services or as a deposit for child care services if such a deposit is required of other children being cared for by the provider. See 42 USC 9858n
- child with a disability: means --
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- county: includes a parish, or any other equivalent subdivision of a State or Territory of the United States. See 1 USC 2
- eligible child: means an individual--
(A) who is less than 13 years of age. See 42 USC 9858n
- eligible child care provider: means --
(A) a center-based child care provider, a group home child care provider, a family child care provider, or other provider of child care services for compensation that--
(i) is licensed, regulated, or registered under State law as described in section 9858c(c)(2)(F) of this title. See 42 USC 9858n
- English learner: means an individual who is an English learner, as defined in section 7801 of title 20, or who is limited English proficient, as defined in section 9832 of this title. See 42 USC 9858n
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- family child care provider: means one individual who provides child care services for fewer than 24 hours per day, as the sole caregiver, and in a private residence. See 42 USC 9858n
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indian tribe: has the meaning given it in section 5304(e) of title 25. See 42 USC 9858n
- lead agency: means the agency designated or established under section 9858b(a) of this title. See 42 USC 9858n
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- parent: includes a legal guardian, foster parent, or other person standing in loco parentis. See 42 USC 9858n
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- scientifically valid research: includes applied research, basic research, and field-initiated research, for which the rationale, design, and interpretation are soundly developed in accordance with principles of scientific research. See 42 USC 9858n
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Health and Human Services unless the context specifies otherwise. See 42 USC 9858n
- sliding fee scale: means a system of cost sharing by a family based on income and size of the family. See 42 USC 9858n
- State: means any of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. See 42 USC 9858n
- tribal organization: has the meaning given it in section 5304(l) of title 25. See 42 USC 9858n
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- writing: includes printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding, or otherwise. See 1 USC 1