Terms Used In Alabama Code > Title 13A > Chapter 6 > Article 6A - Solicitation of Children by Electronic Means
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- preceding: means next before. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- Probate: Proving a will
- United States: includes the territories thereof and the District of Columbia. See Alabama Code 1-1-1
- year: means a calendar year; but, whenever the word "year" is used in reference to any appropriations for the payment of money out of the treasury, it shall mean fiscal year. See Alabama Code 1-1-1