The following definitions shall control the construction of this article:
(a) “Local agency” means any city, county, city and county, special district, or county service area.
Terms Used In California Government Code 54250
- City: includes "city and county" and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 19429
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 19428
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 19427
(b) “Commission” means the Public Utilities Commission.
(c) “Privatization project” means any wastewater or sewerage project that is owned and operated by a corporation, partnership, or natural person pursuant to a franchise, license, or service agreement with a local agency or any agency of that local agency pursuant to which services are supplied for the benefit of the local agency, its residents, or both, or any agency of the state. “Privatization project,” as used in this article, includes the Santa Ana Watershed Project Authority’s Arlington Basin Groundwater Desalter Project, which will treat groundwater contaminated by wastewater.
(d) “Project” includes, but is not limited to, financing, designing, constructing, repairing, replacing, maintaining, and operating collector systems, pumping stations, treatment plants, and lateral interceptors, and outfall sewers.
(e) “Privatizer” means any corporation, partnership, or natural person, excluding municipal corporations, which owns and operates a wastewater or sewerage project pursuant to a franchise, license, or service agreement with a local agency.
(Added by Stats. 1985, Ch. 1430, Sec. 4.)