|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
Terms Used In California Codes > Streets and Highways Code > Division 18 > Part 8
- Activities: means , but is not limited to, all of the following:
California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assessment: means a levy for the purpose of acquiring, constructing, installing, or maintaining improvements and promoting activities which will benefit the properties or businesses located within a multifamily improvement district. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Business: means all types of businesses, including, but not limited to, the operation of multifamily residential properties, retail stores, commercial properties, financial institutions, and professional offices. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- City: means a city, county, city and county, or an agency or entity created pursuant to the Joint Exercise of Powers Act, Article 1 (commencing with Section 6500) of Chapter 5 of Division 7 of Title 1 of the Government Code, the public member agencies of which includes only cities, counties, or a city and county. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Public Utilities Code 19
- City council: means the city council of a city or the board of supervisors of a county, or the agency, commission, or board created pursuant to a joint powers agreement and which is a city within the meaning of this part. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Clerk: means clerk of the legislative body. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- County: includes city and county. See California Water Code 14
- County: includes city and county. See California Public Utilities Code 18
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- district: means a multifamily improvement district established pursuant to this part. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Improvement: means the acquisition, construction, installation, or maintenance of any tangible property with an estimated useful life of five years or more, including, but not limited to:
California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- maintenance: includes any of the following:
California Streets and Highways Code 27
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- owner: means any person shown as the owner of land on the last equalized assessment roll or otherwise known to be the owner of land by the city council. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, limited liability company, or company. See California Water Code 19
- Person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Corporations Code 18
- plan: means a proposal as described in Section 36713. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Property: means real property situated within a multifamily improvement district. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Water Code 18
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Public Utilities Code 17
- United States: means the United States of America, and in relation to any particular matter includes the officers, agents, employees, agencies, or instrumentalities authorized to act in relation thereto. See California Water Code 20
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.