|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
Terms Used In California Codes > Streets and Highways Code > Division 18 > Part 8
- Activities: means , but is not limited to, all of the following:
California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Assessment: means a levy for the purpose of acquiring, constructing, installing, or maintaining improvements and promoting activities which will benefit the properties or businesses located within a multifamily improvement district. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Business: means all types of businesses, including, but not limited to, the operation of multifamily residential properties, retail stores, commercial properties, financial institutions, and professional offices. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- City: means a city, county, city and county, or an agency or entity created pursuant to the Joint Exercise of Powers Act, Article 1 (commencing with Section 6500) of Chapter 5 of Division 7 of Title 1 of the Government Code, the public member agencies of which includes only cities, counties, or a city and county. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- city: means any city, town, or municipal corporation incorporated under the laws of this State. See California Water Code 8002
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 5092
- City council: means the city council of a city or the board of supervisors of a county, or the agency, commission, or board created pursuant to a joint powers agreement and which is a city within the meaning of this part. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Clerk: means clerk of the legislative body. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Commission: means the Public Utilities Commission created by Section 1 of Article XII of the California Constitution, and "commissioner" means a member of the commission. See California Education Code 5093
- Construction: includes :
California Education Code 8091
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 5091
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- district: means a multifamily improvement district established pursuant to this part. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Improvement: means the acquisition, construction, installation, or maintenance of any tangible property with an estimated useful life of five years or more, including, but not limited to:
California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- maintenance: includes any of the following:
California Education Code 8070
- owner: means any person shown as the owner of land on the last equalized assessment roll or otherwise known to be the owner of land by the city council. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Education Code 17496
- Person: means any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, organization, limited liability company, or business trust. See California Education Code 7052
- plan: means a proposal as described in Section 36713. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Property: means real property situated within a multifamily improvement district. See California Streets and Highways Code 36705
- Public utility: as used in this article , means the supply of a municipal corporation alone or together with its inhabitants, or any portion thereof, with water, light, heat, power, sewage collection, treatment, or disposal for sanitary or drainage purposes, transportation of persons or property, means of communication, or means of promoting the public convenience. See California Water Code 6392
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Spouse: includes "registered domestic partner" as required by Section 297. See California Education Code 17489
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 77
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 5090
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 14022
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term appears unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 17486
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 5028
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.