|Article 5||Interstate Compact on Adoption Act|
|Article 10||Amendatory Provisions|
|Article 90||Severability; Nonacceleration; Effective Date|
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > 45 ILCS 17 - Interstate Compact on Adoption Act
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Case law: The law as laid down in cases that have been decided in the decisions of the courts.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.