|Title 1||Adoptions Generally|
|Title 2||Adoption From an Authorized Agency|
|Title 3||Private-Placement Adoption|
|Title 4||Effect of Adoption From an Authorized Agency, of Private-Placement Adoption, and Abrogations Thereof|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Domestic Relations > Article 7 - Adoption
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Adirondack park: shall include all lands located in the forest preserve counties of the Adirondacks within the following described boundaries, to wit: Beginning at the most southerly corner of lot 166 of the John Glen and 44 Others Patent in the line between such patent and the twenty-first allotment of the Kayaderosseras Patent; thence northeasterly along the said line and along the southerly bounds of John Glen and 44 Others Patent and of the Sanders Patent to the southeasterly corner of the Sanders Patent; thence continuing northeasterly along the division line between the twenty-second and twenty-fourth allotments of the Kayaderosseras Patent to the southeasterly corner of the twenty-fourth allotment of the Kayaderosseras Patent; thence northerly along the division line between the twenty-fourth and the twenty-fifth allotments of that patent to the northeasterly corner of the twenty-fourth allotment; thence easterly along the north line of the twenty-fifth allotment and the southerly lines of John Glen and 44 Others Patent, the Luzerne Tract and the Glen Patent to the southeasterly corner of the Glen Patent; thence northerly along the easterly lines of the Glen Patent and the Luzerne Tract to the northwesterly corner of the Queensbury Patent; thence easterly along the northerly bounds of the Queensbury Patent to the northeasterly corner thereof; thence southerly along the easterly bounds of the Queensbury Patent to the northwesterly corner of the Kingsbury Patent; thence easterly along the northerly bounds of the Kingsbury Patent to the southwesterly corner of the Artillery Patent; thence northerly along the westerly line of the Artillery Patent to the northwesterly corner of the Artillery Patent; thence easterly along the northerly bounds of the Artillery Patent to the southwesterly corner of the town of Whitehall; thence northerly along the westerly line of the town of Whitehall to the southern boundary of the town of Dresden; thence in a general northerly and easterly direction along the town line to the state boundary at the outlet of South Bay; thence in a northerly direction along the state boundary to the northeastern corner of the town of Peru in Clinton county; thence in a westerly direction to the low water line of Valcour Island; thence in a general northerly and westerly direction along the northern shore of Valcour Island to the northern boundary of the town of Peru; thence in a westerly direction along the northern boundary of the town of Peru to the eastern edge of the Delaware and Hudson railroad right-of-way; thence southerly along said eastern edge of the railroad right-of-way to the intersection of said right-of-way with the eastern edge of the right-of-way of U. See
- Administer: means the direct application of a controlled substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- adoptor: shall mean a person adopting and "adoptive child" or "adoptee" shall mean a person adopted. See
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Agent: means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Approved project: shall mean a project approved as provided by this article. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Arraignment: A proceeding in which an individual who is accused of committing a crime is brought into court, told of the charges, and asked to plead guilty or not guilty.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Authorized agency: shall mean an authorized agency as defined in the social services law and, for the purpose of this article, shall include such corporations incorporated or organized under the laws of this state as may be specifically authorized by their certificates of incorporation to receive children for purposes of adoption. See
- Autographed: means bearing the actual signature of a sports personality, signed by such individual's own hand. See
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- banking law: refer to laws of the state;
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Birth-related neurological injury: means an injury to the brain or spinal cord of a live infant caused by the deprivation of oxygen or mechanical injury occurring in the course of labor, delivery or resuscitation, or by other medical services provided or not provided during delivery admission, that rendered the infant with a permanent and substantial motor impairment or with a developmental disability as that term is defined by section 1. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2999-H
- board: means "board of directors". See
- Board: means the board of examiners of nursing home administrators as provided for in this article. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2895-A
- Board of supervisors: shall mean the elective governing body of a county, by whatever name designated. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Bridge: shall mean any structure whether of single or multiple span construction with a clear span in excess of five feet with measurements to be made in the manner set forth in subdivision two of section two hundred thirty of this chapter. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Bridge: means a structure including supports erected over a depression or an obstruction such as water, highway, or railway, having a track or passageway for carrying traffic or other moving loads and having an opening measured along the center of the track or roadway of more than twenty feet between under croppings of abutments or spring lines or arches, or extreme ends of openings for multiple boxes and may include multiple pipes where the clear distance between openings is less than half of the smaller contiguous opening. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- By means of the internet: means any sale, delivery, distribution, or dispensing of a controlled substance that uses the internet, is initiated by use of the internet or causes the internet to be used. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- candidate: means an individual who seeks nomination for election, or election, to any public office or party position to be voted for at a primary, general or special or New York city community school district election or election for trustee of the Long Island Power Authority, whether or not the public office or party position has been specifically identified at such time and whether or not such individual is nominated or elected, and, for purposes of this subdivision, an individual shall be deemed to seek nomination for election, or election, to an office or position, if he has (1) taken the action necessary to qualify himself for nomination for election, or election, or (2) received contributions or made expenditures, given his consent for any other person to receive contributions or make expenditures, with a view to bringing about his nomination for election, or election, to any office or position at any time whether in the year in which such contributions or expenditures are made or at any other time; and
- Catskill park: shall include all lands located in the counties of Greene, Delaware, Ulster and Sullivan within the following described boundaries, to wit: Beginning in Ulster county at the intersection of the easterly line of the Hardenburgh Patent with the southerly bounds of the Rondout Reservoir; thence running southwesterly along the easterly line of Great Lot 4 of the Hardenburgh Patent to the southeasterly corner of lot one of the East Allotment, east division of Great Lot 4; thence northwesterly along the southerly bounds of lots one, 7, 8, 14, 17, 22, 26, 33, 37 and 46 of said East Allotment, east division of Great Lot 4 and along the southerly bounds of lots 67, 49, 48, 47, 46, 45, 44, 43, 42 and 41 of the Middle Allotment, east division of Great Lot 4 to the center of the Neversink creek; thence northerly along the center of the Neversink creek to the southeasterly corner of lot 37 of the West Allotment, east division of Great Lot 4; thence northwesterly along the southerly bounds of lots 37, 27, 22, 11 and 6 of said West Allotment, east division of Great Lot 4 to a point in the easterly line of the town of Rockland in Sullivan county; thence southerly along the easterly line of the town of Rockland in Sullivan county to the northeasterly corner of the town of Liberty; thence northwesterly along the northerly line of the town of Liberty in Sullivan county to the southwesterly corner of lot 120 of the East Allotment, middle division of Great Lot 4; thence northwesterly along the southerly bounds of lots 119 and 118 of the East Allotment, middle division of Great Lot 4 to a point in the center of the Willowemoc creek; thence westerly down the center of the Willowemoc creek to its confluence with the Beaver Kill; thence northwesterly down
the center of said Beaver Kill to the southwesterly line of the town of Colchester in Delaware county; thence northwesterly along said southwesterly line of the town of Colchester in Delaware county to the westerly bank of the east branch of the Delaware river; thence along the westerly bank of the said east branch of the Delaware river and the westerly bounds of the Pepacton reservoir to its intersection with the mouth of the Bush Kill at or near the village of Arkville; thence up along the center of said Bush Kill to the New York Central Railroad; thence along the said New York Central Railroad easterly to the line between the counties of Delaware and Ulster; thence northeasterly along that line to the southerly line of Greene county; thence northwesterly along the southerly line of Greene county to the southwesterly corner of Great Lot No. See
- Charge to the jury: The judge's instructions to the jury concerning the law that applies to the facts of the case on trial.
- Collectible: means an autographed sports item including, but not limited to, a photograph, book, ticket, plaque, sports program, trading card, item of sports equipment or clothing, or other sports memorabilia sold or offered for sale in or from this state by a dealer to a consumer for twenty-five dollars or more. See
- Commissioner: means commissioner of health of the state of New York. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Commissioner: shall mean the commissioner of transportation of the state of New York. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Commissioner of finance: means the commissioner of finance of the city;
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Compounding: means the combining, admixing, mixing, diluting, pooling, reconstituting, or otherwise altering of a drug or bulk drug substance to create a drug with respect to an outsourcing facility under section 503B of the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and further defined in this section. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- constituted committee: means a state committee, a county committee or a duly constituted subcommittee of a county committee;
- Consumer: means any natural person who purchases an autographed sports collectible from a dealer for personal, family or household purposes. See
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- contribution: means :
(1) any gift, subscription, outstanding loan (to the extent provided for in section 14-114 of this chapter), advance, or deposit of money or any thing of value, made in connection with the nomination for election,
or election, of any candidate, or made to promote the success or defeat of a political party or principle, or of any ballot proposal,
(2) any funds received by a political committee from another political committee to the extent such funds do not constitute a transfer,
(3) any payment, by any person other than a candidate or a political committee authorized by the candidate, made in connection with the nomination for election or election of any candidate, including any payment or expenditure where coordination has occurred as defined in section 14-107 of this article, or any payment made to promote the success or defeat of a political party or principle, or of any ballot proposal including but not limited to compensation for the personal services of any individual which are rendered in connection with a candidate's election or nomination without charge; provided however, that none of the foregoing shall be deemed a contribution if it is made, taken or performed by a candidate or his spouse or by a person or a political committee independent of the candidate or his agents or authorized political committees. See
- Controlled substance: means a substance or substances listed in section thirty-three hundred six of this chapter. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Corporation: means and includes all banks, trust companies, safe deposit companies, investment companies, mutual trust investment companies, and, to the extent not provided otherwise under any regulation of the superintendent of financial services promulgated pursuant to the provisions of section fourteen-e of this chapter, stock-form savings banks and stock-form savings and loan associations. See
- County superintendent: shall mean the county superintendent of highways. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Culvert: shall mean any structure whether of single or multiple span construction with an interior width of five feet or less with measurements to be made in the manner set forth in subdivision two of section two hundred thirty of this chapter. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Culvert: means a structure whether of single or multiple span construction within an interior width of twenty feet or less when measurement is made horizontally along the center line of roadway from face to face of abutments or sidewalls immediately below the copings or fillets; or, if there are no copings or fillets at points six inches below the bridge seats or immediately under the top slab in the case of frame structures. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- dealer: includes an auctioneer who sells such collectibles at public auction, and includes persons who are consignors or principals of auctioneers. See
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- delivery: means the actual, constructive or attempted transfer from one person to another of a controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Department: means the department of health of the state of New York. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Department of finance: means the department of finance of the city;
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Dispense: means to deliver a controlled substance to an ultimate user or research subject by lawful means, including by means of the internet, and includes the packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for such delivery. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Distribute: means to deliver a controlled substance, including by means of the internet, other than by administering or dispensing. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Distributor: means a person who distributes a controlled substance. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- district: means the entire state or any part thereof, as the case may be;
- Diversion: means manufacture, possession, delivery or use of a controlled substance by a person or in a manner not specifically authorized by law. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Donee: The recipient of a gift.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Drug: means
(a) substances recognized as drugs in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them;
(b) substances intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in man or animals; and
(c) substances (other than food) intended to affect the structure or a function of the body of man or animal. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- election: means all general, special and primary elections, but shall not include elections provided for pursuant to the education law, special district elections, fire district elections or library district elections. See
- Electronic: means of or relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic or similar capabilities. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Electronic prescription: means a prescription issued with an electronic signature and transmitted by electronic means in accordance with regulations of the commissioner and the commissioner of education and consistent with federal requirements. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Electronic record: means a paperless record that is created, generated, transmitted, communicated, received or stored by means of electronic equipment and includes the preservation, retrieval, use and disposition in accordance with regulations of the commissioner and the commissioner of education and in compliance with federal law and regulations. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Executrix: The female counterpart of an executor. See also
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal agency: means the Drug Enforcement Administration, United States Department of Justice, or its successor agency. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Federal controlled substances act: means the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970, Public Law 91-513, and any act
or acts amendatory or supplemental thereto or regulations promulgated thereunder. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Foreign corporation: means a corporation which is licensed by the superintendent under the provisions of article two of this chapter to do business in this state or is applying for such license and a corporation authorized to conduct business in this state pursuant to article five-C of this chapter or is applying for such authorization. See
- Forest land: includes not only lands which may be covered with tree growth but also lands which are best adapted to forests. See
- forest preserve: shall include the lands owned or hereafter acquired by the state within the county of Clinton, except the towns of Altona and Dannemora, and the counties of Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Lewis, Oneida, Saratoga, Saint Lawrence, Warren, Washington, Greene, Ulster and Sullivan, except:
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fund: means the New York state medical indemnity fund. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2999-H
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Highway: shall include necessary sluices, drains, ditches, waterways, embankments, retaining walls, bridges on such highway and under the jurisdiction and control of the town and culverts, and the approaches of any such bridge or culvert beginning at the back of the abutments. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Judge: shall mean a judge of the family court of any county in the state. See
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- labor organization: means any organization of any kind which exists for the purpose, in whole or in part, of representing employees employed within the state of New York in dealing with employers or
employer organizations or with a state government, or any political or civil subdivision or other agency thereof, concerning terms and conditions of employment, grievances, labor disputes, or other matters incidental to the employment relationship. See
- Lawful custody: shall mean a custody (a) specifically authorized by statute or (b) pursuant to judgment, decree or order of a court or (c) otherwise authorized by law. See
- Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff.
- License: means a written authorization issued by the department or the New York state department of education permitting persons to engage in a specified activity with respect to controlled substances. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Manufacture: means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, cultivation, conversion or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or indirectly or by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation, compounding, packaging or labeling of a controlled substance:
(a) by a practitioner as an incident to his administering or dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of his professional practice; or
(b) by a practitioner, or by his authorized agent under his supervision, for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale; or
(c) by a pharmacist as an incident to his dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of his professional practice. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Marihuana: means all parts of the plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Mistrial: An invalid trial, caused by fundamental error. When a mistrial is declared, the trial must start again from the selection of the jury.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- non-candidate expenditures: means expenditures made by a party committee or a constituted committee to maintain a permanent headquarters and staff and carry on ordinary party activities not promoting the candidacy of specific candidates;
- Nursing home: means a facility issued an operating certificate as a nursing home pursuant to article twenty-eight of this chapter. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2895-A
- Nursing home administrator: means an individual who is charged with and has responsibility for the general administration of a nursing home whether or not such individual has an ownership interest in such home and whether or not his functions and duties are shared with one or more other individuals. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2895-A
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Office: means in the case of a bank or trust company its principal office, in the case of a safe deposit company, investment company or mutual trust investment company, its principal place of business and in the case of a foreign corporation the place of business designated in its license or its authorization pursuant to article five-C of this chapter, as the case may be, for the oldest agency or branch in this state of such foreign corporation. See
- Opiate: means any substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Opium poppy: means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Organization certificate: includes (a) the original organization certificate or any other instrument filed or issued under any statute to form a corporation or foreign corporation, as amended, supplemented or restated by certificates of amendment, merger or consolidation or other certificates or instruments filed or issued under any statute; or (b) a special act or charter creating a corporation or foreign corporation, as amended, supplemented or restated by special acts or by certificates of amendment, merger or consolidation or other certificates or instruments filed or issued under any statute. See
- Outsourcing facility: means a facility that:
(a) is engaged in the compounding of sterile drugs as defined in section sixty-eight hundred two of the education law;
(b) is currently registered as an outsourcing facility pursuant to article one hundred thirty-seven of the education law; and
(c) complies with all applicable requirements of federal and state law, including the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- party committee: means any committee provided for in the rules of the political party in accordance with section two-one hundred of this chapter, other than a constituted committee. See
- Person: means any individual, firm, co-partnership, association or corporation, other than the state or a public corporation, as the latter is defined in subdivision 1 of section 3 of the General Corporation Law. See
- Person: means any natural person, partnership, corporation, company, trust, association or other entity, however organized. See
- Person: means individual, institution, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Pharmacist: means any person licensed by the state department of education to practice pharmacy. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Pharmacy: means any place registered as such by the New York state board of pharmacy and registered with the Federal agency pursuant to the federal controlled substances act. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Plan: shall mean a map and specifications showing (a) the location of a project, (b) the estimated cost of such project, (c) the proposed width, thickness and type of highway, (d) a statement of necessity for such project relied upon by the town, and (e) the projects to be completed in each year of the period of the duration of this article. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- political action committee: means a political committee which makes no expenditures to aid or take part in the election or defeat of a candidate, or to promote the success or defeat of a ballot proposal, other than in the form of contributions, including in-kind contributions, to candidates, candidate's authorized committees, party committees, constituted committees, or independent expenditure committees provided there is no common operational control between the political action committee and the independent expenditure committee; or in the form of communications that are not distributed to a general public audience as described in subdivision thirteen of this section. See
- political committee: means any corporation aiding or promoting and any committee, political club or combination of one or more persons operating or co-operating to aid or to promote the success or defeat of a political party or principle, or of any ballot proposal; or to aid or take part in the election or defeat of a candidate for public office or to aid or take part in the election or defeat of a candidate for nomination at a primary election or convention, including all proceedings prior to such primary election, or of a candidate for any party position voted for at a primary election, or to aid or defeat the nomination by petition of an independent candidate for public office; but nothing in this article shall apply to any committee or organization for the discussion or advancement of political questions or principles without connection with any vote or to a national committee organized for the election of presidential or vice-presidential candidates; provided, however, that a person or corporation making a contribution or contributions to a candidate or a political committee which has filed pursuant to section 14-118 shall not, by that fact alone, be deemed to be a political committee as herein defined. See
- Poppy straw: means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Practitioner: means :
dentist, podiatrist, veterinarian, scientific investigator, or other person licensed, or otherwise permitted to dispense, administer or conduct research with respect to a controlled substance in the course of a licensed professional practice or research licensed pursuant to this article. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Precedent: A court decision in an earlier case with facts and law similar to a dispute currently before a court. Precedent will ordinarily govern the decision of a later similar case, unless a party can show that it was wrongly decided or that it differed in some significant way.
- Prescribe: means a direction or authorization, by prescription, permitting an ultimate user lawfully to obtain controlled substances from any person authorized by law to dispense such substances. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Prescription: shall mean an official New York state prescription, an electronic prescription, an oral prescription, an out-of-state prescription, or any one. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- prescription monitoring program registry: means the prescription monitoring program registry established pursuant to section thirty-three hundred forty-three-a of this article. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Private-placement adoption: shall mean any adoption other than that of a minor who has been placed for adoption by an authorized agency. See
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Public entity: means any department, board, bureau, commission or agency of the state or its political subdivisions, public benefit corporation or any public authority including the port authority of New York and New Jersey. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Qualified plaintiff: means every plaintiff or claimant who (i) has been found by a jury or court to have sustained a birth-related neurological injury as the result of medical malpractice, or (ii) has sustained a birth-related neurological injury as the result of alleged medical malpractice, and has settled his or her lawsuit or claim therefor; and (iii) has been ordered to be enrolled in the fund by a court in New York state. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2999-H
- Qualifying health care costs: means the future medical, hospital, surgical, nursing, dental, rehabilitation, habilitation, respite, custodial, durable medical equipment, home modifications, assistive technology, vehicle modifications, transportation for purposes of health care
appointments, prescription and non-prescription medications, and other health care costs actually incurred for services rendered to and supplies utilized by qualified plaintiffs, which are necessary to meet their health care needs, as determined by their treating physicians, physician assistants, or nurse practitioners and as otherwise defined by the commissioner in regulation. See N.Y. Public Health Law 2999-H
- Railroad: means a private or public railroad operating in the state of New York carrying either freight, passengers or freight and passengers including, but not limited to, those operated by the metropolitan transportation authority and its subsidiaries, the Long Island Rail Road, the metro-north railroad, the Staten Island rapid transit operating authority, the New York city transit authority or any other public authority or local government and shall include tourist excursion operations and railrides on standard gauge tracks. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- Railroad bridge: means a structure including supports erected over a depression or an obstruction such as water, highway, or railway, having a track or tracks for carrying freight or passengers or other moving loads and having an opening measured along the center of the track or roadway of more than twenty feet between under croppings of abutments or spring lines or arches, or extreme ends of openings for multiple boxes and may include multiple pipes where the clear distance between openings is less than half of the smaller contiguous opening whether privately or publicly owned. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- REIT: means a real estate investment trust as defined in section eight hundred fifty-six of the internal revenue code. See N.Y. New York City Administrative Code 11-601
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- RIC: means a regulated investment company as defined in section eight hundred fifty-one of the internal revenue code. See N.Y. New York City Administrative Code 11-601
- Roadbed: shall mean the portion of the highway, improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the berm or shoulder. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Sell: means to sell, exchange, give or dispose of to another, or offer or agree to do the same. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Substantial structural alteration: means any work that modifies the load capacity, loan distribution or load paths or structural behavior of the bridge. See N.Y. Highway Law 230
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Surrogate: shall mean the surrogate of any county in the state and any other judicial officer while acting in the capacity of surrogate. See
- Tax appeals tribunal: means the tax appeals tribunal established by section one hundred sixty-eight of the charter. See N.Y. New York City Administrative Code 11-601
- Taxpayer: means any corporation, association or other entity or individual subject to tax under this chapter;
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- this state: means the state of New York;
- Town superintendent: shall mean the town superintendent of highways. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Town highway: shall mean highways constructed, improved or maintained by the town with the aid of the state or county, under the provisions of the highway law, including all highways in towns, outside of incorporated villages constituting separate road districts, except state highways, county roads, parkways, state thruways and controlled access highways as defined by the highway law. See N.Y. Highway Law 219
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- transfer: means any exchange of funds or any thing of value between political committees authorized by the same candidate and taking part solely in his campaign, or any exchange of funds between a party or constituted committee and a candidate or any of his authorized political committees. See
- Treasury shares: means shares which have been issued, have been subsequently acquired, and are retained uncancelled by the corporation. See
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trial jury: A group of citizens who hear the evidence presented by both sides at trial and determine the facts in dispute. Federal criminal juries consist of 12 persons. Federal civil juries consist of six persons.
- Ultimate user: means a person who lawfully obtains and possesses a controlled substance for his own use or the use by a member of his household or for an animal owned by him or in his custody. See N.Y. Public Health Law 3302
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.