The Iowa state fair authority is established as a public instrumentality of the state. The authority is not an agency of state government. However, the authority is considered a state agency and its employees state employees for the purposes of chapters 17A, 20, 91B, 97B, 509A, and 669. The authority is established to conduct an annual state fair and exposition on the Iowa state fairgrounds and to conduct other interim events consistent with its rules. The powers of the authority are vested in the Iowa state fair board. The Iowa state fair board consists of the following:
1. The governor of the state, the secretary of agriculture, and the president of the Iowa state university of science and technology or their qualified representatives.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 173.1
- Board: means the Iowa state fair board as provided in section 173. See Iowa Code 173.1A
- Convention: means the convention held each year, to elect members of the state fair board and conduct other business of the board, as provided in section 173. See Iowa Code 173.1A
- district: means any of the six geographic regions established in section 173. See Iowa Code 173.1A
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. Two district directors from each state fair board district to be elected at a convention as provided in section 173.4.
3. A president and vice president to be elected by the state fair board from the elected directors.
4. A treasurer to be elected by the board from the elected directors.
5. A secretary to be appointed by the board who shall serve as a nonvoting member.