1. a. A school employee who, in the course of employment, suffers a personal injury causing temporary total disability, or a permanent partial or total disability, resulting from an episode of violence toward that employee, for which workers’ compensation under chapter 85 is payable, shall be entitled to receive workers’ compensation, which the district shall supplement in order for the employee to receive full salary and benefits for the shortest of the following periods:
(1) One year from the date of the disability.
(2) The period during which the employee is disabled and incapable of employment.
b. During the period described in paragraph “a”, subparagraph (1) or (2), the school employee shall not be required to use accumulated sick leave or vacation.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 280.21A
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Nonpublic school: means any school, other than a public school, which is accredited pursuant to section 256. See Iowa Code 280.2
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. The school district may require the employee, as a condition of receiving benefits under this section, to provide a signed statement that justifies the use of this leave and, if medical attention is required, a certificate from a licensed physician that states the nature and duration of the leave.
3. For purposes of this section, “school employee” means a person employed by a nonpublic school or school district, or any area education agency staff member who provides services to a school or school district.