1. Within all school districts except metropolitan districts the board of education shall provide transportation to and from school for all pupils living more than three and one-half miles from school and may provide transportation for all pupils. State aid for transportation shall be paid as provided in section 163.161 only on the basis of the cost of pupil transportation for those pupils living one mile or more from school, including transportation provided to and from publicly operated university laboratory schools. The board of education may provide transportation for pupils living less than one mile from school at the expense of the district and may prescribe reasonable rules and regulations as to eligibility of pupils for transportation, and, notwithstanding any other provision of law, no such district shall be subject to an administrative penalty when the district demonstrates pursuant to rule established by the state board of education that such students are required to cross a state highway or county arterial in the absence of sidewalks, traffic signals, or a crossing guard and that no existing bus stop location has been changed to permit a district to evade such penalty. If no increase in the tax levy of the school district is required to provide transportation for pupils living less than one mile from the school, the board may transport said pupils. If an increase in the tax levy of the school district is required to provide transportation for pupils living less than one mile from school, the board shall submit the question at a public election. If a two-thirds majority of the voters voting on the question at the election are in favor of providing the transportation, the board shall arrange and provide therefor.
2. The proposal and the ballots may be in substantially the following form:
|Shall the board of education of the ______ school district provide transportation at the expense of the district for pupils living less than one mile from school and be authorized to levy an additional tax of ______ cents on the one hundred dollars assessed valuation to provide funds to pay for such transportation service?|
|(If you are in favor of the proposition (or question), place an X in the box opposite “YES”. If you are opposed to the proposition (or question), place an X in the box opposite “NO”.)|
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 167.231
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of the statutes, mean the section next preceding or next following that in which the reference is made, unless some other section is expressly designated in the reference. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Guardian: if used in a section in a context relating to property rights or obligations, means conservator of the estate as defined in Missouri Laws 1.020
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
3. The board of education of any school district may provide transportation to and from school for any public school pupil not otherwise eligible for transportation under the provisions of state law, and may prescribe reasonable rules and regulations as to eligibility for transportation, if the parents or guardian of the pupil agree in writing to pay the actual cost of transporting the pupil. The minimum charge would be the actual cost of transporting the pupil for ninety school days, which actual cost is to be determined by the average per-pupil cost of transporting children in the school district during the preceding school year. The full actual cost shall be paid by the parent or guardian of the pupil and shall not be paid out of any state school aid funds or out of any other revenues of the school district. The cost of transportation may be paid in installments, and the board of education shall establish the cost of the transportation and the time or times and method of payment.