The department of health and senior services may deny, suspend or revoke a license in any case in which the department finds that there has been a substantial failure to comply with the requirements of sections 197.200 to 197.240, or in any case in which the director of the department makes a finding that:
(1) The applicant, or if the applicant is a firm, partnership or association, any of its members, or if a corporation, any of its officers or directors, or the person designated to manage or supervise the facility, has been finally adjudicated and found guilty, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, in a criminal prosecution under the laws of any state or of the United States, for any offense reasonably related to the qualifications, functions, or duties of an ambulatory surgical center or of an abortion facility, or for any offense an essential element of which is fraud, dishonesty, or an act of violence, or for any offense involving moral turpitude, whether or not sentence is imposed;
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 197.220
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- United States: includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
(2) The licensure status or record of the applicant, or if the applicant is a firm, partnership or association, of any of its members, or if a corporation, of any of its officers or directors, or of the person designated to manage or supervise the facility, from any other state, federal district or land, territory or commonwealth of the United States, or of any foreign country where the applicant has done business in a similar capacity indicates that granting a license to the applicant would be detrimental to the interests of the public.