1. A person commits the offense of assault in the first degree if he or she attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.
2. The offense of assault in the first degree is a class B felony unless in the course thereof the person inflicts serious physical injury on the victim, or if the victim of such assault is a special victim, as the term “special victim” is defined under section 565.002, in which case it is a class A felony.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 565.050
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Special victim: any of the following:
(a) A law enforcement officer assaulted in the performance of his or her official duties or as a direct result of such official duties. See Missouri Laws 565.002