As used in this Chapter unless the context requires otherwise:
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 115C-5
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories, so called; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the said district and territories and all dependencies. See North Carolina General Statutes 15A-941
(1) The State Board of Education may be referred to as the “Board” or as the “State Board.”
(2) The governing board of a city administrative unit is “the_______ city board of education.”
(3) The governing board of a county administrative unit is “the______ county board of education.”
(4) The term “school district” means any district defined by G.S. 115C-69.
(5) “Local board” or “board” means a city board of education, county board of education, or a city-county board of education.
(6) “Local school administrative unit” means a subdivision of the public school system which is governed by a local board of education.? It may be a city school administrative unit, a county school administrative unit, or a city-county school administrative unit.
(7) The executive head of a school shall be called “principal.”
(8) The executive officer of a local school administrative unit shall be called “superintendent.” “Superintendent” means the superintendent of schools of a public school system or, in his absence, the person designated to fulfill his functions.
(9) “Supervisor” means a person paid on the supervisor salary schedule who supervises the instructional program in one or more schools and is under the immediate supervision of the superintendent or his designee.
(10) The term “tax-levying authority” means the board of county commissioners of the county or counties in which an administrative unit is located or such other unit of local government as may be granted by local act authority to levy taxes on behalf of a local school administrative unit. (1955, c. 664; c. 1372, art. 1, ss. 8, 9; 1965, c. 584, s. 2; 1967, c. 223, s. 1; 1971, c. 883; c. 1188, s. 2; 1973, c. 315, s. 1; c. 782, ss. 1-30; 1975, c. 437, s. 10; 1979, c. 864, s. 2; 1981, c. 423, s. 1; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 975, s. 2; 1997-456, s. 27.)