(A) To be eligible to supervise a radiologist assistant, a physician shall be actively and directly engaged in the clinical practice of medicine and surgery as a radiologist or actively and directly engaged in the clinical practice of osteopathic medicine and surgery as a radiologist.
Terms Used In Ohio Code 4774.10
- Physician: means an individual authorized under Chapter 4731. See Ohio Code 4774.01
- Radiologist: means a physician who has successfully completed an approved radiology training program, as specified in the accreditation requirements that must be met to qualify as graduate medical education , as defined in section 4731. See Ohio Code 4774.01
- Radiologist assistant: means an individual who assists a radiologist in the care of radiology patients by engaging in any of the activities authorized under section 4774. See Ohio Code 4774.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
(B) In providing supervision of a radiologist assistant, a supervising radiologist is subject to all of the following:
(1) Except as provided in divisions (B)(2) and (3) of this section, the supervising radiologist shall provide on-site supervision of the radiologist assistant. The supervision shall be provided by being physically present in the same location as the radiologist assistant. The provision of on-site supervision does not necessarily require that the supervising radiologist be in the same room as the radiologist assistant. On-site supervision shall be provided when the radiologist assistant performs a radiologic procedure on a patient who is under minimal sedation.
(2) When the radiologist assistant performs a radiologic procedure on a patient who is under general anesthesia, deep sedation, or moderate sedation, the supervising radiologist shall provide direct supervision. The supervision shall be provided by being physically present in the same room as the radiologist assistant, with the radiologist assistant in the actual sight of the supervising radiologist when the radiologist assistant is performing the radiologic procedure.
(3) In the case of any radiologic procedure that a radiologist assistant is authorized to perform pursuant to division (A)(5) of section 4774.08 of the Revised Code, the supervising radiologist shall provide the level of supervision specified by the state medical board in the rules adopted under section 4774.11 of the Revised Code authorizing the performance of the procedure.
(C) The supervising radiologist of a radiologist assistant assumes legal liability for the services provided by the radiologist assistant.
Effective Date: 2008 SB229 09-11-2008 .