(a) The school committee of the town of Middletown shall be authorized to adopt by resolution the Middletown public schools sponsorship program (the “program”). The purpose of said program shall be to provide funding to aid the Middletown school district in maintaining its current extra-curricular program offerings by creating paid advertising and sponsorship opportunities through the Middletown public schools.
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 16-2-35
- town: may be construed to include city; the words "town council" include city council; the words "town clerk" include city clerk; the words "ward clerk" include clerk of election district; the words "town treasurer" include city treasurer; and the words "town sergeant" include city sergeant. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-9.
(b) Such program shall meet the following guidelines and criteria:
(1) Proposals for sponsorships shall be reviewed by the superintendent of schools, and if approved by the superintendent, such approval shall be submitted to the Middletown school committee for final approval;
(2) Paid advertising and business sponsorships shall be permitted on school district grounds only with the prior approval of both the superintendent and the school committee of the town of Middletown.
(3) The Middletown school committee shall promulgate a policy on advertising and business sponsorship. Any advertising on school property, in district publications, and distribution or display that is paid for by a private, business, or commercial sponsor shall be consistent with the provisions of such policy. In promulgating such policy, the school district shall be especially cognizant of the requirements of chapter 21 of this title in regard to health and safety of pupils.
(i) Advertising and business sponsorships shall be limited to products, services, and issues that support and promote a positive educational atmosphere.
(ii) Approved advertising, signage, and other promotions shall be in good taste, use good production quality, and shall not detract from the educational environment.
(c) Prohibited advertising and business sponsorships shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Anything that is illegal, obscene, profane, vulgar, prurient, defamatory, violent, abusive, impolite, or that contains sexual content, sexual imagery, or sexual overtones, or that is otherwise not suitable for minors;
(2) Anything that is discriminatory or promotes goods or services not suitable for use or consumption by minors;
(3) Materials in support of or promoting a specific religion or religious viewpoint; and
(4) Materials in support of or promoting a specific political candidate or viewpoint.
(d) The provisions of the section shall not apply to information, promotions, or announcements issued by the town of Middletown and/or the state of Rhode Island.
(P.L. 2015, ch. 248, § 1; P.L. 2015, ch. 270, § 1.)