(1) require an operational automatic external defibrillator on the grounds of the high school;
Terms Used In South Carolina Code 59-17-155
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
(2) require all persons who are reasonably expected to use the device to obtain appropriate training, including completion of a course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation or a basic first aid course that includes cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and demonstrated proficiency in the use of an automated external defibrillator. The school district superintendent, or the superintendent’s designee, shall determine who is reasonably expected to use the device;
(3) establish guidelines for periodic inspections and maintenance of the defibrillators; and
(4) define the purpose of the program and the manner in which the program will operate.
(B)(1) Any person or entity acting in good faith and gratuitously shall be immune from civil liability for the use of an automated external defibrillator unless the person was grossly negligent in the use.
(2) Any designated automated external defibrillator user meeting the requirements of Section 44-76-30(1) and acting according to the required training shall be immune from civil liability for the application of an automated external defibrillator unless the application was grossly negligent.
(3) A person or entity acquiring an automated external defibrillator and meeting the requirements of Section 44-76-30 or an automated external defibrillator liaison meeting the requirements of Section 44-76-30 shall be immune from civil liability for the use of an automated external defibrillator by any person or entity described in items (1) or (2) of this subsection.
(4) A prescribing physician shall be immune from civil liability for authorizing the purchase of an automated external defibrillator, unless the authorization was grossly negligent.
(C) Any person or entity, acting in good faith and gratuitously, that teaches or provides a training program for cardiopulmonary resuscitation that includes training in the use of automated external defibrillator is immune from civil liability for providing this training for use if the:
(1) person or entity has provided the training in accordance with the guidelines and policies of a national training organization, as defined in Section 44-76-30(1);
(2) person providing the training is authorized to deliver that course or curriculum; and
(3) training delivery was not grossly negligent.
(D) The Department of Administration may establish a state contract for the purchase of automated external defibrillators.