- Except as provided in subsection (c), each corporation must have a board of directors.
- All corporate powers shall be exercised by or under the authority of, and the business and affairs of the corporation managed under the direction of, its board of directors, subject to any limitation set forth in the charter.
- board of directors: means the governing board of a corporation, whether denominated the board of directors or otherwise, except that no person or group of persons is the board of directors because of powers delegated to that person or group pursuant to §. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Business: includes every trade, occupation, profession, investment activity and other lawful purpose for gain or the preservation of assets whether or not carried on for profits. See Tennessee Code 48-202-101
- Charter: includes amended and restated charters and articles of merger. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Directors: means natural persons, designated in the charter or bylaws or elected or appointed by the incorporators, and their successors and natural persons elected or appointed to act as members of the board, irrespective of the names or titles by which such persons are described. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Person: includes individual and entity. See Tennessee Code 48-202-101
- A corporation having fifty (50) or fewer shareholders may dispense with or limit the authority of a board of directors by describing in its charter who will perform some or all of the duties of a board of directors; provided, that any such person or persons shall be subject to the same standards of conduct that this chapter imposes on directors in the performance of their duties.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 48-18-101