The charter or bylaws may prescribe qualifications for directors. A director need not be a resident of this state or a shareholder of the corporation unless the charter or bylaws so prescribe.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 48-18-102
- Bylaws: means the code or codes of rules (other than the charter) adopted pursuant to Chapters 51 68 of this title for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name or names by which such rules are designated. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Charter: includes amended and restated charters and articles of merger. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Directors: means natural persons, designated in the charter or bylaws or elected or appointed by the incorporators, and their successors and natural persons elected or appointed to act as members of the board, irrespective of the names or titles by which such persons are described. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105