(a) (1) It is the intent of the general assembly that each person who drives an emergency vehicle in an official capacity shall be adequately trained to drive the emergency vehicle. Documentation by the agency providing training shall include:
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 55-8-194
- Driver: means every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
- Person: means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association or corporation. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
- Vehicle: means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
(A) Training in the operation of the vehicle in emergency and non-emergency situations;
(B) A review of all applicable laws pertaining to emergency vehicles; and
(C) Training to respond to actions of nonemergency vehicles.
(2) Each emergency vehicle driver shall take not less than two (2) hours of training annually, and each emergency vehicle driver shall take and pass a comprehensive examination pertaining to subdivisions (a)(1)(A)-(a)(1)(C) every year.
(b) This section shall apply to all law enforcement personnel, firefighters, including volunteer firefighters, rescue personnel, including volunteer rescue personnel, and emergency services personnel.
[Acts 2005, ch. 243, § 2.]