(1) Except as provided in subs. (2) and (3), beginning in the year 2000, no public school may commence the school term until September 1.
Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 118.045
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Promulgate: when used in connection with a rule, as defined under s. See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 403.504
(2) Subsection (1) does not prohibit a school board from doing any of the following:
(a) Holding athletic contests or practices before September 1.
(b) Scheduling in-service days or work days before September 1.
(c) Holding school year-round.
(3) A school board may commence the school term before September 1 in any school year if the school board requests the department to allow it to commence the school term before September 1 and the school board includes reasons with its request. The department may grant a request only if it determines that there are extraordinary reasons for granting it. The department shall promulgate rules to implement and administer this subsection.