Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes 940.305
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
(1) Except as provided in sub. (2), whoever by force or threat of imminent force seizes, confines or restrains a person without the person’s consent and with the intent to use the person as a hostage in order to influence a person to perform or not to perform some action demanded by the actor is guilty of a Class B felony.
(2) Whoever commits a violation specified under sub. (1) is guilty of a Class C felony if, before the time of the actor’s arrest, each person who is held as a hostage is released without bodily harm.