Terms Used In Wisconsin Statutes > Chapter 50 > Subchapter I
- Adult: means a person who has attained the age of 18 years, except that for purposes of investigating or prosecuting a person who is alleged to have violated any state or federal criminal law or any civil law or municipal ordinance, "adult" means a person who has attained the age of 17 years. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Adult family home: means one of the following and does not include a place that is specified in sub. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Advanced practice nurse prescriber: means an advanced practice nurse who is certified under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Basic care: includes periodic skilled nursing services or physical, emotional, social or restorative care. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Community-based residential facility: means a place where 5 or more adults who are not related to the operator or administrator and who do not require care above intermediate level nursing care reside and receive care, treatment or services that are above the level of room and board but that include no more than 3 hours of nursing care per week per resident. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- County board: means the county board of supervisors. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- deputy sealer: means a sealer of weights and measures and deputy sealer of weights and measures of a municipality, respectively. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Facility: means a nursing home or community-based residential facility. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fire department: includes a department under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Following: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next following that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Handler: means any person engaged in the business of distributing or placing an agricultural commodity in commercial channels, or any person engaged in the business of processing an agricultural commodity. See Wisconsin Statutes 96.01
- Highway: includes all public ways and thoroughfares and all bridges upon the same. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Home health agency: has the meaning given under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- Immediate jeopardy: means a situation in which a nursing home's noncompliance with one or more requirements under Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols or figures. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Inspector: means a state inspector of weights and measures. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01
- Intensive skilled nursing care: means care requiring specialized nursing assessment skills and the performance of specific services and procedures that are complex because of the resident's condition or the type or number of procedures that are necessary, including any of the following:
(a) Direct patient observation or monitoring or performance of complex nursing procedures by registered nurses or licensed practical nurses on a continuing basis. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
Intermediate level nursing care: means basic care that is required by a person who has a long-term illness or disability that has reached a relatively stable plateau. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases. Land: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC Licensed practical nurse: means a licensed practical nurse who is licensed or has a temporary permit under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt. Marketing agreement: means an agreement entered into by the secretary under this chapter. See Wisconsin Statutes 96.01 Marketing order: means an order issued by the secretary under this chapter. See Wisconsin Statutes 96.01 Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan. Municipality: means a city or village. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01 Nurse aide: means a person who performs routine patient care duties delegated by a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse who supervises the person, for the direct health care of a patient or resident. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Nursing care: means nursing procedures, other than personal care, that are permitted to be performed by a registered nurse under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Nursing home: means a place where 5 or more persons who are not related to the operator or administrator reside, receive care or treatment and, because of their mental or physical condition, require access to 24-hour nursing services, including limited nursing care, intermediate level nursing care and skilled nursing services. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Nursing home administrator: has the meaning assigned in…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Oath: includes affirmation in all cases where by law an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Operator: means any person licensed or required to be licensed under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses. Person: includes all partnerships, associations and bodies politic or corporate. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Personal care: means assistance with the activities of daily living, such as eating, dressing, bathing and ambulation, but does not include nursing care. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action, evidences of debt and energy. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Physician assistant: has the meaning given in…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Plan of correction: means a nursing home's response to alleged deficiencies cited by the department on forms provided by the department. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Population: means that shown by the most recent regular or special federal census. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC Preceding: when used by way of reference to any statute section, means the section next preceding that in which the reference is made. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law. Producer: means any person engaged in the business of producing or causing to be produced for market in commercial quantities any agricultural commodity. See Wisconsin Statutes 96.01 Promulgate: when used in connection with a rule, as defined under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Property: includes real and personal property. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Qualified: when applied to any person elected or appointed to office, means that such person has done those things which the person was by law required to do before entering upon the duties of the person's office. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 real property: includes lands, tenements and hereditaments and all rights thereto and interests therein. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Recuperative care: means care anticipated to be provided in a nursing home for a period of 90 days or less for a resident whose physician has certified that he or she is convalescing or recuperating from an illness or medical treatment. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Referendum: means any voting procedure under which affected producers or handlers may, by secret ballot, vote for or against the issuance, amendment or termination of a marketing order. See Wisconsin Statutes 96.01 Registered nurse: means a registered nurse who is licensed under…. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Resident: means a person who is cared for or treated in and is not discharged from a nursing home, community-based residential facility or adult family home, irrespective of how admitted. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Residential care apartment complex: means a place where 5 or more adults reside that consists of independent apartments, each of which has an individual lockable entrance and exit, a kitchen, including a stove, and individual bathroom, sleeping and living areas, and that provides, to a person who resides in the place, not more than 28 hours per week of services that are supportive, personal and nursing services. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Respite care: means care anticipated to be provided in a nursing home for a period of 28 days or less for the purpose of temporarily relieving a family member or other caregiver from his or her daily caregiving duties. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action. seal: includes the word "seal" the letters "L S" and a scroll or other device intended to represent a seal, if any is affixed in the proper place for a seal, as well as an impression of a seal on the instrument. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party. Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims. Short-term care: means recuperative care or respite care provided in a nursing home. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Skilled nursing services: means those services, to which all of the following apply, that are provided to a resident under a physician's orders:
(a) The services require the skills of and are provided directly by or under the supervision of a person whose licensed, registered, certified or permitted scope of practice is at least equivalent to that of a licensed practical nurse. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01
sold: include barter or exchange, and any offering or exposing for sale or possession with intent to sell. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01 State: when applied to states of the United States, includes the District of Columbia, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories organized by Congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Statute: A law passed by a legislature. stove: means a cooking appliance that is a microwave oven of at least 1,000 watts or that consists of burners and an oven. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries. Town: may be construed to include cities, villages, wards or districts. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 United States: includes the District of Columbia, the states, the commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the territories organized by congress. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision. Village: means incorporated village. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Violation: means a failure to comply with any provision of this subchapter or administrative rule promulgated thereunder. See Wisconsin Statutes 50.01 Week: means 7 consecutive days. See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01 Weight: means net weight when used in reference to a commodity. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01 Weights and measures: means weights and measures of every kind, instruments and devices for weighing and measuring, and any appliances and accessories used with any or all such instruments and devices, except meters for the measurement of electricity, gas (natural and manufactured) or water when the same are operated in a public utility system. See Wisconsin Statutes 98.01 Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed; "year" alone means "year of our Lord". See Wisconsin Statutes 990.01