In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 8-101
- Child: means any person under eighteen years of age. See Arizona Laws 8-101
- court: means the juvenile division of the superior court. See Arizona Laws 8-101
- Department: means the department of child safety. See Arizona Laws 8-201
- Division: means the department of child safety. See Arizona Laws 8-101
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- juvenile: means an individual who is under the age of eighteen years. See Arizona Laws 8-201
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Petition: means a written statement of the essential facts that allege delinquency, incorrigibility or dependency. See Arizona Laws 8-201
1. "Adult" means a person eighteen years of age or older.
2. "Agency" or "adoption agency" means a person other than the division licensed by the division to place children for adoption, including an attorney or law firm.
3. "Agency placement adoption" means an adoption proceeding in which one or more of the requisite consents are given to an agency pursuant to section 8-107, subsection D, paragraph 1.
4. "Child" means any person under eighteen years of age.
5. "Custody" means a status embodying all of the following rights and responsibilities:
(a) The right to have the physical possession of the child.
(b) The right and the duty to protect, train and discipline the child.
(c) The responsibility to provide the child with food, shelter, education and health care, and the authority to consent to surgery or other extraordinary medical care in an emergency.
6. "Direct placement adoption" means an adoption proceeding in which one or more of the requisite consents are given to a particular person pursuant to section 8-107, subsection D, paragraph 2.
7. "Division" means the department of child safety.
8. "Juvenile court" or "court" means the juvenile division of the superior court.
9. "Permanent guardian" means a legal guardian appointed by the court pursuant to section 8-871.
10. "Petitioner" includes both petitioners under a joint petition.