|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
Terms Used In California Codes > Streets and Highways Code > Division 18 > Part 7
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Budget authority: Authority provided by law to enter into obligations that will result in outlays of Federal funds. Budget authority may be classified by the period of availability (one-year, multiyear, no-year), by the timing of congressional action (current or permanent), or by the manner of determining the amount available (definite or indefinite).
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Education Code 5092
- Commission: means the Public Utilities Commission created by Section 1 of Article XII of the California Constitution, and "commissioner" means a member of the commission. See California Education Code 5093
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: as used in this part means a corporation which is organized under, or subject to this part, including a central organization. See California Corporations Code 12232
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 17491
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 1915
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 5091
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 94150
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- department: means the State Department of Health Services. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14062
- director: means the State Director of Health Services. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14061
- Directors: means natural persons, designated in the articles or bylaws or elected by the incorporators, and their successors and natural persons designated, elected, or appointed by any other name or title to act as members of the governing body of the corporation. See California Corporations Code 12233
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- maintenance: includes any of the following:
California Education Code 8070
- Markup: The process by which congressional committees and subcommittees debate, amend, and rewrite proposed legislation.
- Medi-Cal: means the California Medical Assistance Program. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14063
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person. See California Education Code 17496
- Person: means any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, organization, limited liability company, or business trust. See California Education Code 7052
- Person: means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, limited liability company, or company. See California Education Code 14022.3
- Public utility: as used in this article , means the supply of a municipal corporation alone or together with its inhabitants, or any portion thereof, with water, light, heat, power, sewage collection, treatment, or disposal for sanitary or drainage purposes, transportation of persons or property, means of communication, or means of promoting the public convenience. See California Water Code 6392
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 77
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 5090
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 14022
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term appears unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 17486
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which that term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 5028
- Water company: as used in this article , includes any person, firm, or private corporation engaged in the business of supplying water for domestic use within any city. See California Water Code 6357.2
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.