Terms Used In Florida Statutes 316.72
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: means any individual, firm, company, agency, organization, partnership, corporation, association, trust, or other business entity of any kind whatsoever. See Florida Statutes 403.08852
- school: includes all preelementary, elementary, secondary, and postsecondary schools. See Florida Statutes 400.9983
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person, except a governmental unit or agency operating as provided by law, to use on the public highways of the state any bus of an orange or yellow color known as “school bus chrome,” or any color purporting to resemble the color of a school bus, for any purpose other than to transport persons to and from educational or recreational facilities or institutions or to and from events or activities which are sponsored, financed, or supervised by educational, recreational, religious, or charitable organizations. When said vehicle has ceased to be so used, or is used for the transportation of passengers other than for said purpose, its use shall be unlawful unless and until said bus has been changed from said colors to some other color by repainting and unless and until all signs and insignia which mark or designate it as a school bus have been removed therefrom. However, in school districts contracting for buses from an outside source or in school districts operating specially designed or equipped buses for the transporting of the handicapped, those buses may be used on a temporary or irregular basis to transport persons to and from facilities or activities not specified in this subsection within the county with the express consent of the school board.
(2) Any educational, recreational, religious, or charitable organization may own, operate, rent, or lease any bus which has been painted the orange or yellow color known as “school bus chrome” and which has been equipped with the signs, lights, insignia, and other features which normally characterize a school bus, as defined in s. 1006.25, consistent with the provisions of this section.
(3) Any person violating any provision hereof shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor.
(4) Any county or municipal ordinance contrary to the provisions of this section is hereby repealed.