1. There is hereby established within the department of elementary and secondary education the “After-School Retreat Reading and Assessment Grant Program”. Beginning with the 2002-03 school year, the program shall award grants to schools on a competitive grant basis. School districts may develop after-school reading and assessment programs and submit proposals to the department, pursuant to criteria established by the department for grant approval and on forms promulgated by the department for grant applications. Copies of the criteria established pursuant to this section shall be provided by the department to all school districts in this state. In awarding such grants, the department shall grant preference to school districts with a higher percentage of at-risk students, as the department may determine. In addition, the criteria for grant approval by the department may include, but shall not be limited to:
(1) The development of programs which are educational in nature, with emphasis in reading and student assessment thereof as opposed to day-care oriented programs; or
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 167.680
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020
(2) Other criteria as the department may deem appropriate.
2. Subject to appropriation, beginning with the 2002-03 school year, the department shall award grants to school districts for the development and implementation of after-school retreat programs consistent with this section. In the event that the appropriations or other moneys available for such grants are less than the amount necessary to fully fund all approved grants for the 2002-03 school year or any subsequent school year, the moneys shall be distributed to approved schools on a pro rata basis.
3. There is hereby created in the state treasury the “After-School Retreat Reading and Assessment Grant Program Fund”. The fund shall be administered by the department. The fund shall consist of moneys appropriated annually by the general assembly from general revenue to such fund, any moneys paid into the state treasury and required by law to be credited to such fund and any gifts, bequests or donations to such fund. The fund shall be kept separate and apart from all other moneys in the state treasury and shall be paid out by the state treasurer pursuant to chapter 33. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, moneys in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not be transferred to the credit of the general revenue fund. All interest and moneys earned on the fund shall be credited to the fund.
4. No rule or portion of a rule promulgated pursuant to this section shall take effect unless such rule has been promulgated pursuant to chapter 536.