(a) The school committee shall locate all schoolhouses, and shall not abandon, close, or change the location of any without good cause; and, unless provided by law, the school committee of each city or town shall have the care and control of all public school buildings and other public school property of the city or town, including repairs of the buildings and the purchase of furniture and other school equipment.
Terms Used In Rhode Island General Laws 16-2-15
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- town: may be construed to include city; the words "town council" include city council; the words "town clerk" include city clerk; the words "ward clerk" include clerk of election district; the words "town treasurer" include city treasurer; and the words "town sergeant" include city sergeant. See Rhode Island General Laws 43-3-9.
(b) The school committee of any city or town may provide public school housing for the city or town by lease of buildings or portions of buildings, furniture, and other school equipment, subject to the following provisions:
(1) During the period or periods to which the lease applies the property leased shall be public school property of the city or town in all respects to the same effect as any public school building of the city or town;
(2) The lease shall provide for use and occupancy of periods at least the same as or equivalent to the periods during which public school buildings of the city or town are used and occupied;
(3) As applied to rooms for instruction the lease shall provide for exclusive use and occupancy during the periods of the lease and may provide for common or concurrent use and occupancy of other areas of the property;
(4) The use and occupancy under the lease may be for purpose of instruction at particular grade levels or in particular courses of study and may provide for consecutive use and occupancy of specified areas of the property provided that total use and occupancy under this lease complies with the provisions of subsection (b)(2).
(c) Upon application of the school committee of any city or town, the commissioner of elementary and secondary education may prescribe by regulation standards for the leases in accordance with this chapter and in accordance with the Constitution, laws, and education policies and programs of the state. The expenses of the city or town under the lease shall constitute expenditures to support the basic program pursuant to the provisions of §§ 16-7-15 to 16-7-34.
(G.L. 1896, ch. 60, § 4; G.L. 1909, ch. 67, § 3; P.L. 1917, ch. 1521, § 1; G.L. 1923, ch. 70, § 3; G.L. 1938, ch. 178, § 3; G.L. 1956, § 16-2-15; P.L. 1969, ch. 245, § 1; P.L. 1975, ch. 286, § 1.)