South Carolina Code > Title 44 > Chapter 75 – Athletic Trainers’ Act of South Carolina
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 44 > Chapter 75 - Athletic Trainers' Act of South Carolina
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Athletic trainer: means an allied health professional with specific qualifications as set forth in § 44-75-50 who, upon the advice and consent of a licensed physician, carries out the practice of care, prevention, and physical rehabilitation of athletic injuries, and who, in carrying out these functions, may use physical modalities, including, but not limited to, heat, light, sound, cold, electricity, or mechanical devices related to rehabilitation and treatment. See South Carolina Code 44-75-20
- Audiologist: means an individual who practices audiology. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Board: means the Board of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 44-75-20
- Board: means the South Carolina State Board of Examiners in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Certificate: means official acknowledgment by the department that an individual has successfully completed educational and other requirements referred to in this act which entitle that individual to perform the functions and duties of an athletic trainer. See South Carolina Code 44-75-20
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Department: means the Department of Health and Environmental Control. See South Carolina Code 44-75-20
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- License: means an authorization to practice speech-language pathology or audiology issued by the board pursuant to this chapter and includes an authorization to practice as a speech-language pathology intern, an audiology intern, and a speech-language pathology assistant. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Licensee: means an individual who has met the requirements for licensure under this chapter and has been issued a license for speech language pathology or audiology or for speech language pathology or audiology intern or speech-language pathology assistant. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Person: means an individual, organization, or corporation, except that only individuals can be licensed under this chapter. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- practice of audiology: means the rendering of or the offering to render any audiology service to an individual, group, organization, or the public. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- practice of speech-language pathology: means the rendering of or the offering to render any speech-language pathology services to an individual, group, organization, or the public. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Speech-language pathologist: means an individual who practices speech-language pathology. See South Carolina Code 40-67-20
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.