For purposes of this chapter:
1. “Material support or resources” means knowingly assisting or providing money, financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, safe houses, false documentation or identification, communication equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel, transportation, and other physical assets, except medicine or religious materials, for the purpose of assisting a person in the commission of an act of terrorism.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 708A.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Renders criminal assistance” means a person who, with intent to prevent the apprehension or obstruct the prosecution or defense of any person, knowingly does any of the following acts:
a. Destroys, alters, conceals, or disguises physical evidence which would be admissible in the trial of another for a public offense, or makes available false evidence or furnishes false information with the intent that it be used in the trial of that case.
b. Induces a witness having knowledge material to the subject at issue to leave the state or hide, or to fail to appear when subpoenaed.
c. Provides concealment or warns of impending apprehension to any person being sought for the subject at issue.
d. Provides a weapon, disguise, transportation, or money to any person being sought for the subject at issue.
e. Prevents or obstructs, by means of force, intimidation, or deception, another person from performing an act which might aid in the apprehension or prosecution or defense of any person.
3. “Terrorism” means an act intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population, or to influence the policy of a unit of government by intimidation or coercion, or to affect the conduct of a unit of government, by shooting, throwing, launching, discharging, or otherwise using a dangerous weapon at, into, or in a building, vehicle, airplane, railroad engine, railroad car, or boat, occupied by another person, or within an assembly of people. The terms “intimidate”, “coerce”, “intimidation”, and “coercion”, as used in this definition, are not to be construed to prohibit picketing, public demonstrations, and similar forms of expressing ideas or views regarding legitimate matters of public interest protected by the United States and Iowa Constitutions.