|§ 1532||Establishment of removal court|
|§ 1533||Removal court procedure|
|§ 1534||Removal hearing|
|§ 1536||Custody and release pending removal hearing|
|§ 1537||Custody and release after removal hearing|
Terms Used In U.S. Code > Title 8 > Chapter 12 > Subchapter V
- alien terrorist: means any alien described in section 1227(a)(4)(B) of this title. See 20 USC 1070a-28
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Chief judge: The judge who has primary responsibility for the administration of a court but also decides cases; chief judges are determined by seniority.
- child: means an unmarried person under twenty-one years of age who is--
(A) a child born in wedlock. See 19 USC 2291
- consular officer: means any consular, diplomatic, or other officer or employee of the United States designated under regulations prescribed under authority contained in this chapter, for the purpose of issuing immigrant or nonimmigrant visas or, when used in subchapter III, for the purpose of adjudicating nationality. See 19 USC 2291
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- diplomatic visa: means a nonimmigrant visa bearing that title and issued to a nonimmigrant in accordance with such regulations as the Secretary of State may prescribe. See 19 USC 2291
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- engage in terrorist activity: means , in an individual capacity or as a member of an organization--
(I) to commit or to incite to commit, under circumstances indicating an intention to cause death or serious bodily injury, a terrorist activity. See 20 USC 1070a-13
- foreign state: includes outlying possessions of a foreign state, but self-governing dominions or territories under mandate or trusteeship shall be regarded as separate foreign states. See 19 USC 2291
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- immigrant visa: means an immigrant visa required by this chapter and properly issued by a consular officer at his office outside of the United States to an eligible immigrant under the provisions of this chapter. See 19 USC 2291
- Majority leader: see Floor Leaders
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- removal court: means the court described in section 1532 of this title. See 20 USC 1070a-28
- removal hearing: means the hearing described in section 1534 of this title. See 20 USC 1070a-28
- removal proceeding: means a proceeding under this subchapter. See 20 USC 1070a-28
- representative: includes an officer, official, or spokesman of an organization, and any person who directs, counsels, commands, or induces an organization or its members to engage in terrorist activity. See 20 USC 1070a-13
- special attorney: means an attorney who is on the panel established under section 1532(e) of this title. See 20 USC 1070a-28
- special immigrant: means --
(A) an immigrant, lawfully admitted for permanent residence, who is returning from a temporary visit abroad. See 19 USC 2291
- terrorist activity: means any activity which is unlawful under the laws of the place where it is committed (or which, if it had been committed in the United States, would be unlawful under the laws of the United States or any State) and which involves any of the following:
(I) The highjacking or sabotage of any conveyance (including an aircraft, vessel, or vehicle). See 20 USC 1070a-13
- terrorist organization: means an organization--
(I) designated under section 1189 of this title. See 20 USC 1070a-13
- United States worker: means an employee who--
(i) is a citizen or national of the United States. See 20 USC 1070a-13
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.