Iowa Code 714.29 – Records filed with intent to harass or defraud
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
1. A person shall not cause to be communicated to the filing office as defined in section 554.9102 for filing a record if all of the following are true:
a. The person is not authorized to file the record under section 554.9509.
b. The record is not related to an existing or anticipated transaction that is or will be governed by chapter 554, article 9.
c. The record is filed with the intent to harass or defraud the person identified as debtor in the record.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 714.29
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. A person that violates subsection 1 is guilty of a simple misdemeanor for a first offense and a serious misdemeanor for a second or subsequent offense.