1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 6, a person who is convicted of a violation of a speed limit, or of NRS 484B.150, 484B.163, 484B.165, 484B.200 to 484B.217, inclusive, 484B.223, 484B.227, 484B.300, 484B.303, 484B.317, 484B.320, 484B.327, 484B.330, 484B.403, 484B.587, 484B.600, 484B.603, 484B.650, 484B.653, 484B.657, 484C.110 or 484C.120, that occurred:
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes 484B.130
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.039
(a) In an area designated as a temporary traffic control zone; and
(b) At a time when the workers who are performing construction, maintenance or repair of the highway or other work are present, or when the effects of the act may be aggravated because of the condition of the highway caused by construction, maintenance or repair, including, without limitation, reduction in lane width, reduction in the number of lanes, shifting of lanes from the designated alignment and uneven or temporary surfaces, including, without limitation, modifications to road beds, cement-treated bases, chip seals and other similar conditions, shall be punished by imprisonment or by a fine, or both, for a term or an amount equal to and in addition to the term of imprisonment or amount of the fine, or both, that the court imposes for the primary offense. Any term of imprisonment imposed pursuant to this subsection runs consecutively with the sentence prescribed by the court for the crime. This subsection does not create a separate offense, but provides an additional penalty for the primary offense, whose imposition is contingent upon the finding of the prescribed fact.
2. The additional penalty imposed pursuant to subsection 1 must not exceed a total of $1,000, 6 months of imprisonment or 120 hours of community service.
3. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 5, a governmental entity that designates an area or authorizes the designation of an area as a temporary traffic control zone in which construction, maintenance or repair of a highway or other work is conducted, or the person with whom the governmental entity contracts to provide such service, shall cause to be erected:
(a) A sign located before the beginning of such an area stating ‘DOUBLE PENALTIES IN WORK ZONES’ to indicate a double penalty may be imposed pursuant to this section;
(b) A sign to mark the beginning of the temporary traffic control zone; and
(c) A sign to mark the end of the temporary traffic control zone.
4. A person who otherwise would be subject to an additional penalty pursuant to this section is not relieved of any criminal liability because signs are not erected as required by subsection 3 if the violation results in injury to any person performing highway construction or maintenance or other work in the temporary traffic control zone or in damage to property in an amount equal to $1,000 or more.
5. The requirements of subsection 3 do not apply to an area designated as a temporary traffic control zone:
(a) Pursuant to an emergency which results from a natural or other disaster and which threatens the health, safety or welfare of the public; or
(b) On a public highway where the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less and that provides access to or is appurtenant to a residential area.
6. A person who would otherwise be subject to an additional penalty pursuant to this section is not subject to an additional penalty if the violation occurred in a temporary traffic control zone for which signs are not erected pursuant to subsection 5, unless the violation results in injury to any person performing highway construction or maintenance or other work in the temporary traffic control zone or in damage to property in an amount equal to $1,000 or more.