1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 4, a person who is convicted of a violation of a speed limit, or of NRS 484B.150, 484B.163, 484B.165, 484B.200 to 484B.217, inclusive, 484B.223, 484B.227, 484B.280, 484B.283, 484B.287, 484B.300, 484B.303, 484B.307, 484B.317, 484B.320, 484B.327, 484B.403, 484B.600, 484B.603, 484B.650, 484B.653, 484B.657, 484C.110 or 484C.120, that occurred in an area designated as a pedestrian safety zone may be punished by imprisonment or by a fine, or both, for a term or an amount equal to and in addition to the term of imprisonment or amount of the fine, or both, that the court imposes for the primary offense. Any term of imprisonment imposed pursuant to this subsection runs consecutively with the sentence prescribed by the court for the crime. This subsection does not create a separate offense, but provides an additional penalty for the primary offense, whose imposition is discretionary with the court and contingent upon the finding of the prescribed fact.
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes 484B.135
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles. See Nevada Revised Statutes 481.015
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.039
2. The additional penalty imposed pursuant to subsection 1 must not exceed a total of $1,000, 6 months of imprisonment or 120 hours of community service.
3. A governmental entity that designates a pedestrian safety zone shall cause to be erected:
(a) A sign located before the beginning of the pedestrian safety zone which provides notice that higher fines may apply in pedestrian safety zones;
(b) A sign to mark the beginning of the pedestrian safety zone; and
(c) A sign to mark the end of the pedestrian safety zone.
4. A person who would otherwise be subject to an additional penalty pursuant to this section is not subject to such an additional penalty if, with respect to the pedestrian safety zone in which the violation occurred:
(a) A sign is not erected before the beginning of the pedestrian safety zone as required by paragraph (a) of subsection 3 to provide notice that higher fines may apply in pedestrian safety zones; or
(b) Signs are not erected as required by paragraphs (b) and (c) of subsection 3 to mark the beginning and end of the pedestrian safety zone.
5. The governing body of a local government or the Department of Transportation may designate a pedestrian safety zone on a highway if the governing body or the Department of Transportation:
(a) Makes findings as to the necessity and appropriateness of a pedestrian safety zone, including, without limitation, any circumstances on or near a highway which make an area of the highway dangerous for pedestrians; and