Current as of: 2011
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "Board" means the Board of Professional Engineers.
(2) "Board of directors" means the board of directors of the Florida Engineers Management Corporation.
(3) "Certificate of authorization" means a license to practice engineering issued by the management corporation to a corporation or partnership.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
(5) "Engineer" includes the terms "professional engineer" and "licensed engineer" and means a person who is licensed to engage in the practice of engineering under this chapter.
(6) "Engineer intern" means a person who has graduated from an engineering curriculum approved by the board and has passed the fundamentals of engineering examination as provided by rules adopted by the board.
(7) "Engineering" includes the term "professional engineering" and means any service or creative work, the adequate performance of which requires engineering education, training, and experience in the application of special knowledge of the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences to such services or creative work as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, and design of engineering works and systems, planning the use of land and water, teaching of the principles and methods of engineering design, engineering surveys, and the inspection of construction for the purpose of determining in general if the work is proceeding in compliance with drawings and specifications, any of which embraces such services or work, either public or private, in connection with any utilities, structures, buildings, machines, equipment, processes, work systems, projects, and industrial or consumer products or equipment of a mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, or thermal nature, insofar as they involve safeguarding life, health, or property; and includes such other professional services as may be necessary to the planning, progress, and completion of any engineering services. A person who practices any branch of engineering; who, by verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, or card, or in any other way, represents himself or herself to be an engineer or, through the use of some other title, implies that he or she is an engineer or that he or she is licensed under this chapter; or who holds himself or herself out as able to perform, or does perform, any engineering service or work or any other service designated by the practitioner which is recognized as engineering shall be construed to practice or offer to practice engineering within the meaning and intent of this chapter.
(8) "License" means the licensing of engineers or certification of businesses to practice engineering in this state.
(9) "Management corporation" means the Florida Engineers Management Corporation.
(10) "Retired professional engineer" or "professional engineer, retired" means a person who has been duly licensed as a professional engineer by the board and who chooses to relinquish or not to renew his or her license and applies to and is approved by the board to be granted the title "Professional Engineer, Retired."
(11) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Business and Professional Regulation.
(12) "Space or aerospace company" means any business entity concerned with the design, manufacture, or support of aircraft, rockets, missiles, spacecraft, satellites, space vehicles, space stations, space facilities, or components thereof, and equipment, systems, facilities, simulators, programs, products, services, and activities related thereto.
(13) "Defense company" means any business entity that holds a valid Department of Defense contract or any business entity that is a subcontractor under a valid Department of Defense contract. The term includes any business entity that holds valid contracts or subcontracts for products or services for military use under prime contracts with the United States Department of Defense, the United States Department of State, or the United States Coast Guard.
ss. 2, 42, ch. 79-243; ss. 4, 10, ch. 81-302; ss. 2, 3,